2022. október 14., péntek

Tentree rainwear is made from non-toxic recycled materials

Tentree is a company focused on making apparel while also making a difference. The company’s mission is to be a responsible manufacturer at every stage of production by ensuring safe and fair working conditions and sourcing recycled materials or sustainable natural materials for its clothing.

The most recent release by Tentree tackles issues with traditional rainwear, mainly because it is commonly made with toxic chemicals that have been associated with environmental and human health issues. To provide waterproof effectiveness without forever chemicals, Tentree relies on a non-toxic waterproofing system from nature. Called the Nimbus Collection, the rain jackets use recycled Thermoplastic Polyurethane, which is naturally waterproof. The jackets are then coated in a Durable Water Repellent that is also naturally derived.

Related: 77-year-old launches waterproof hemp shoe company

The result is a selection of short and long rain jackets for both men and women. They range in sizes from small to XXL and are available in several colors. See our personal review below.

A model wearing a green rain jacket

About Tentree

Tentree’s name stems from its effort to address deforestation and improve carbon capture with the planting of ten trees for every item purchased. Each product comes with a unique tag identifying the ten trees planted. Customers can then track the location and progress of getting those trees into the ground.

The brand is making a statement with its new jacket line, but it’s well-versed in keeping the messaging consistent in everything it does. From the beginning, Tentree has been about manufacturing with a small carbon footprint, the use of recycled materials whenever possible, reducing waste and providing quality products that will avoid a trip to the landfill anytime soon.

Tentree is a certified B Corporation with a proven track record of responsible action toward the environment and the workforce. The company has also earned a climate-neutral label, meaning it has taken steps to offset any residual carbon emissions from the sourcing of materials, transports, production and delivery. 

The jacket being modeled and worn in a rain test

Review of Tentree Women’s Nimbus Rain Jacket

I was excited when the company offered to send me a sample for review. It’s always a little nerve-wracking worrying about size and fit so I followed the sizing guide and ordered accordingly. Although I perhaps didn’t want to admit I needed a large, I’m glad I trusted the guide (five feet five inches, 140 pounds with weight around the midsection).

The Tentree Women’s Nimbus Rain Jacket in olive green showed up a few days later. There was no excess packaging and the coat inside the bag was simply tied with a small piece of a natural material that looks like raffia.

I’ll skip to the chase. I LOVE this jacket. I love everything about this jacket. I’m thrilled it rained all of last week and I got to wear it multiple times. It’s actually a good thing I did because each time I wore it I found additional features.

The design

Starting with the basics, the color is exactly what I expected. It’s a gorgeous shade of olive — not too yellowish. It’s long enough to cover what needs to be covered. With my height, the bottom of the jacket hits a few inches above my knee. When I first put it on, I was afraid it was too big but it has a loose feel. Even after putting it over a sweatshirt, I was happy to still be able to move freely.

I also discovered pull strings hidden on the inside of the jacket that allow it to gather around the waist for a more contoured and less boxy fit. I don’t know how to describe the look except sleek and contemporary, yet classic. This is a rain jacket you can wear fashionably or functionally. It adds warmth with weightiness to it, without being bulky in any way. 

The stitching is tight and consistent all the way around. There are several thoughtful features that make it especially equipped for the rain, such as zipping side pockets with a flap that covers the zippers. A similar matching flap covers the main zipper down the front.

Up close view of the rain jacket hood

Rain test

The hood offers a duck bill that certainly came in handy the first time I stepped out into the rain. Water ran off the sides and front while protecting my face. Once it began drooping down onto my face, I finally realized there was a drawstring adjustment in the back of the hood to pull it into position. The pull string is discreetly hidden in a flap to continue the streamlined look of the coat.

The sleeves took me a minute to get used to. They appear to be unfinished at the bottom. However, there is a seam along the edge and a cuff inside the sleeve. The result is a sleeve that partially covers the hand, allowing water to run off without catching in a cuff.

Final thoughts

The snaps, zippers, and other components are all heavy-duty and appear to be durable. There’s also a generous inside zipper pocket for additional storage. I live in the Pacific Northwest where rain is a ubiquitous part of life and can say I’ll be dreading the upcoming season a bit less thanks to this jacket.

+ Tentree

Images via Tentree and Dawn Hammon



from INHABITAT https://ift.tt/tjhC0S7
via Inhabitat

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése